90s makeup was all about the dark lip. I remember using dark plum and red brown coloured lips while listening to 90s grunge music such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. The 90s brought in a minimal look with maximum impact – A dark lip and pared-back face with subtle contouring.
With the arrival of Autumn and the 90’s enjoying a renaissance, Max Factor Australia Head Makeup Artist Liz Kelsh has created the perfect look of the moment. The cooler weather is the perfect time to swap your summer gloss for a bold, darker lipstick, and Liz’s 90’s inspired look focuses on the brown-based lip colour representative of the decade as the statement feature, keeping the rest of the look minimalist, soft and natural. Liz’s recreation adds a touch of shimmer to the traditionally matte 90’s style, for an alluring, modern take.
Liz’s latest tutorial is the third in a series created to launch internationally popular Crème Puff Pressed Powder as well as NEW Max Factor Crème Puff Blush to the Australian market. The tutorials celebrate the brand’s Hollywood heritage, innovative products and unique makeup artistry techniques by recreating of some of Hollywood’s most iconic looks from throughout the decades.
Liz, shows you how to master the look of the 90’s Minimalist, inspired by iconic Hollywood looks from the Red Carpet from this decade. In this speedy tutorial, Liz teaches you how to create this iconic look with luminous skin paired with perfect blush highlights and a strong, statement lip.
Get the Look:
- Use a foundation brush, apply Max Factor Facefinity All Day Flawless Foundation, starting from the centre of the face and blending outwards whilst building up coverage where needed. Blend into the skin with fingertips for a really beautiful, glowing base.
- Dot Max Factor Mastertouch Concealer under the eyes in a triangle shape to highlight and use fingertips to blend well.
- Dust Max Factor Crème Puff Pressed Powder in Translucent over the t-zone to set the foundation and create a flawless finish.
- Use your fingers to apply Max Factor Excess Shimmer Pot in Crystal as a highlighter to the cheekbones and brow bone, adding a youthful, healthy glow to the skin.
- Use a brush to apply Max Factor Bronzing Powder in Bronze as an eye shadow into the crease of the eyelids and sweep from side to side to blend.
- Use a brush to sweep Max Factor Crème Puff Blush in Nude Mauve over the apples of the cheeks and blend outwards in large circular motions towards the temples.
- Apply Max Factor False Lash Effect Mascara onto the lashes, creating a wide-eyed, voluminous lash effect.
- To finish, dab Max Factor Lasting Colour Collections Lipstick in Coffee Toffee over the lips to build up the colour and achieve that iconic, statement 90’s look.
Of course, we have the video to actually see how the look is achieved:
What do you think of the 90s minimal look?