House & Garden

Dangerous Foods for Dogs this Christmas

christmas dogsChristmas is a time for family, friends, great food and cheer. But for our furry friends it can also be a time of great risk as there are a range of foods we have over the festival season that can not only make your fur children ill, but kill them.

Here are some foods that are not canine compatible this Christmas.

Christmas Pudding, Christmas Cake and Mince Pies

See those raisins and currents in your Christmas desert? They’re all variations on grapes which nearly all dogs are allergic to. Some dogs can eat a few and not have a problem, others will be violently ill after only two; either way they’re a no-no. Consumed in large amounts they can cause kidney failure.

Further these delightful Christmas treats are also full of fat and sugar, which can cause your dog to have severe stomach problems, and are a contributor to pancreatits.xmasdogs2Alcohol

We’re not suggesting that you’re going to be serving your dog your choice of poison in their drink bowl, but plenty of Christmas foods (including the previously mentioned Christmas cake) are dosed in alcohol as well.

Besides getting your dog drunk, canines aren’t cut out to be drinking and as in with large doses in humans, small doses can cause liver damage and other related effects.

Anything chocolate, particularly decorations.

You’d have to be living in a cave to not know chocolate is bad for dogs, but between a long lunch and a few drinks at Christmas there have been cases where chocolate coins or decorations have been left in an irresistible location.

Along with the chocolate poisoning the tin foil isn’t particularly good for their innards either.
xmasdogs3Cooked Bones

If you’re big on baking at Christmas the chances are the foods you cook have bones.

Cooked bones are brittle and splinter easily, and can lead to fragments getting stuck in your dogs throat. Even smaller pieces can cause gut irritation, perforation, and toilet problems.

Even if you’re not feeding them at the dinner table, beware of where you place the scraps, such as making sure your bin can’t be got at by your dog.

Macadamia nuts

If you’ve got Macadamia nuts with your Christmas lunch nibblies, or even earlier Christmas party platter, these are a serious no-no for dogs. Within 12 hours of ingestion, macadamia nuts can cause dogs to experience weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia.
xmasdogs4When in doubt ring your vet

Even with the best precautions, sometimes dogs are dogs and they get into things they shouldn’t have. When in doubt ring a vet, and if you’re vet isn’t on call most cities offer 24/7 emergency vet services.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.