Rice is one of the most versatile foods and used throughout the world.
We’ve shared our favourite easy mid week recipes from Taste using Tilda rice. I’ve never actually tried microwave rice until recently and I must say, it makes life a lot easier. No more gluggy mess and it’s ready in two minutes. It tastes good too!
Whatever Fried Rice
I call this “whatever” friend rice because you use up whatever you’ve got on hand. There’s no definitive way to make a fried rice. Just add in whatever vegies and meat you have available. Personally, I love making it the night after a roast chicken and using up the left over chicken and frozen veg.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 250g pork mince, sliced fillet or shredded roast chicken
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 long fresh red chilli
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 2 x 250g pkt microwave Tilda Basmati rice
- 110g (2/3 cup) frozen peas, carrots and corn
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Fried shallots, to serve
- You could also add in prawns, champignon mushrooms, thin julienne carrot
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the pork and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2 While the pork is cooking, chop the garlic and chilli.
- Step 3 Push the pork to 1 side of the wok and add the garlic to the empty side. Cook garlic, stirring, for 30 seconds then toss into the pork. Add 1/2 tablespoon kecap manis and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until caramelised.
Mild Chicken Korma
We’ve never met an Indian dish we haven’t liked and we LOVE this easy version of a Chicken Korma.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 500g Chicken Breast Fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 420g jar Sharwood’s Korma Simmer Sauce
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, grated
- 1 large tomato, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 8 Sharwood’s Plain Puppodums
- Tilda Pure Steamed Basmati Rice, to serve
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- 2 tablespoons Sharwood’s Green Label Mango Chutney
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the brown onion, stirring, for 5 mins or until softened. Add the chicken. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until lightly browned. Stir in the simmer sauce. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, for 10 mins or until chicken is cooked through
- Step 2 Meanwhile, combine the cucumber, tomato, red onion, chopped coriander and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season
- Step 3 Prepare the puppodums and rice following packet directions
- Step 4 Divide rice among serving bowls. Top with curry and coriander leaves. Serve with salad, puppodums and mango chutney.
Warm Chicken Salad with Coconut Rice
A good and easy warm salad is a must over the summer months and this is one recipe everyone will love.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 (500g) chicken tenderloins
- 150g snow peas, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 x 250g packets Tilda coconut, chilli and lemongrass steamed basmati rice
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon crushed peanuts
- lime wedges, to serve
- Step 1 Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 5 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Thinly slice.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, place snow peas in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 2 minutes. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Drain. Thinly slice lengthways. Combine snow peas, carrot and chicken in a bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 3 Cook rice following packet directions. Divide between plates. Top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with onion and peanuts. Serve with lime wedges.
Fast Tuna Patties with Sweet Chilli Mayo
These tuna patties are so easy to make. The whole family loves them. They taste even better the next day for lunch.
- 250g packet Tilda Brown Basmati microwave rice
- 400g can tuna in brine, drained, flaked
- 3 green onions, trimmed, finely sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1 Cook rice according to packet directions. Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly. Add tuna, onions and eggs. Mix to combine.
- Step 2 Divide mixture into 8 portions. Using hands, roll mixture into balls and flatten slightly. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Add patties and turn to coat. Heat half the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook half the patties for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
- Step 3 Combine mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce in a small bowl. Serve patties with mayonnaise mixture and salad leaves.
Paella is probably the most moreish rice dish in existence. This is our easy version.
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 red capsicum, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chorizo, thinly sliced
- 80g (1/2 cup) frozen peas, thawed
- 500g marinara mix
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons paprika
- 250g pkt Tilda Basmati Rice
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add chorizo and onion. Stir for 2-3 minutes or until light golden. Add capsicum and paprika. Stir for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 2 Stir in the rice and 410ml (1 2/3 cups) boiling water. Stir in the marinara mix. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until seafood is just cooked.
- Step 3 Stir in the peas. Rest for 5 minutes.