New York and London Fashion week have just finished and as expected there were quite a few similar trends with the designers with regard to nails and make up. Which nail trends am I loving for the upcoming Autumn/ Winter 2013 seasons?
Red is going to be HUGE this season! This vintage Hollywood siren, gorgeous, sexy, vivacious colour is making a comeback with Jenni Kayne, Jil Sander, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, YSL, and Thakoon all using red talons on their models. Which red hue do you ask? All shades of red! From cherry red right through to the darkest of reds, they are all on trend at the moment.
My favourites? Revlon Top Speed ‘Fire’, Revlon ‘Mon Cherry’, OPI ‘My Fortune Cookie’ and ‘An Affair in Red Square’, Orly ‘Red Flare’, Manicare Glamnails ‘Tainted Love’, Loreal Color Riche Le Vernis ‘Femme Fatale’ and Chanel Le Vernis ‘Pirate’.
Neutral nails were seen at Chanel, Victoria Beckham, Dolce & Gabbana, M. Patmos, and DKNY shows. The hues can be nude, creams or light/pastel pink.
My picks: Orly ‘First Kiss’, Chanel Le Vernis ‘Ballerina’, Revlon Colorstay ‘Pale Cashmere’, Loreal Color Riche Le Vernis ‘Rose Paradise’, butter LONDON Nail Lacquer ‘Pink Ribbon’.
French manicures… with a twist. This is one trend I simply love! French manicures have always been classic and stylish but this season sees it transformed from the usual pale pink, nude and white tipped French manicure to French manicures using different shades of one colour (like a mid blue base & dark blue tips), right through to different bright coloured tips with a nude base.
One style of French manicure in particular caught my eye on Pinterest a few months ago, a matte black base with black gloss tips. Simply gorgeous!
OPI are releasing a matt top coat on the 14th March and I will be the first in line to buy it (OPI is now available at Myer. Yay!).
How do you do it? It is rather easy, actually. Thanks to OPI, we have a ‘how to’ do a black french manicure:
- Start with a base coat – use OPI’s Natural Base Coat
- Paint on two coats of your favourite nail lacquer shade. We recommend using OPI Black Onxy. The black two tone is very elegant and sophisticated for winter, another option is a dark grey or Olympic Blue.
- Let it dry before applying OPI’s new Matte Top Coat.
- Wait for the Top Coat to completely dry, you can use OPI’s Drip Dry if you are in a hurry.
- Using the OPI Black Onxy, paint a thin line across the tip of your nail. Don’t worry about being precise when applying your tip, since the whole nail is black.
- Finish the application with a protective coat of OPI’s Top Coat, make sure you apply the top coat onto the free edge of your nails.
To prep your hands for Autumn, protect them through winter and to keep them soft and smooth, I highly recommend Nivea Hand Fluid Express Hydration (RRP$4.37). The fluid hand cream works to leave skin feeling soft and refreshed in seconds. The hand fluid is quickly absorbed without any greasy residue. Great for Mums on the run like myself.
3 thoughts on “Autumn/Winter 2013 nailspiration”
I am so excited that dark red nails are in – and that finally I can wear them with style! I have recently gotten gel nails and it is the first time I have had long nails in my life for longer than a day or two – coming up 2 months now – I'm loving trying out different nail polishes!
I love Revlon Pale Cashmere. I’m not loving the black tip look eeek
Revlon “Mon Cherry” is my fave all year round!