Physical therapy has helped individuals of all ages who suffer from medical conditions, injuries or illnesses and that limit their ability to move. There are a number of benefits of a customized physical therapy program. It can help you return to the prior level of functioning and can encourage activities and lifestyle changes so as to prevent future injury. Here are different ways physical therapy can benefit you.
- Reduce pain: The biggest advantage of physical therapy is that it uses techniques like soft tissue mobilization and ultrasound to relieve pain in addition to restoring the muscle and joint function. The therapies will ensure that it prevents pain from returning.
- Enhanced mobility: Individuals having trouble walking, standing or moving can enjoy better mobility with physical therapy. Strengthening exercises can also help restore the ability to function. When an individual care plan is customized, any activity can be adapted to ensure high safety and maximum performance.
- Avoid surgery: Physical therapy can not only eliminate the pain but will also help you recover from an injury and a surgery might not be required. With top neurological physical therapy, it has become possible to return to normal life without going through a surgery.
- Recovery from stroke: It is very common to lose a certain amount of function after a stroke and physical therapy can help strengthen the weakened body parts and improve balance. It will enhance your ability to transfer and move around in the bed so that you can eventually be independent around the home.
- Avoid a sports injury: Physical therapists know that different sports can affect you in different ways. It can increase the risk towards specific types of injuries and the professionals can design a recovery or a prevention exercise program for you to ensure a safe return from the sport.
- Improve balance: With physical therapy, you will get screened for the risk of a fall and if you are high at risk, you will be given exercises that carefully challenge the balance. They can also perform certain maneuvers which can help restore proper functioning and reduce the symptoms of vertigo or dizziness.
- Manage diabetes: Exercise can help manage blood sugar and people with diabetes often face a problem with sensation in their legs and feet. Physical therapists can help educate patients with regard to proper foot care and will prevent further problems in the long run.
- Handle age-related concerns: With age, individuals tend to develop osteoporosis or arthritis. Physical therapy can ensure that patients recover from joint replacement and can manage osteoporotic conditions efficiently.
- Manage lung and heart diseases: Patients might need cardiac rehabilitation post a heart attack but if their daily functioning is affected, they need physical therapy. It can help improve the quality of life through the right breathing exercises for the lungs.
These are only a few benefits of physical therapy. No matter the gender, age or health-related concern, physical therapy can have a significant impact on individuals and can improve mobility and functioning.