A classic little black dress is an essential item to any women’s wardrobe. It’s a versatile wardrobe and high-fashion staple that’s both demure and sexy and if done right, it never goes out of style.
Ever since Coco Chanel first pioneered the classic black dress, it has remained a fashion classic. Her design was a simple straight-lined black dress in the garçonne style. The many styles of black dresses that are available ensure that every woman can find a flattering black dress to suit your figure type. Most women suit a black shift style dress, which we feature below.
Why the black dress?
There are numerous reasons why the black dress is here to stay but the main reason is the classic black dress never dates and looks stylish and sophisticated without trying. Buying a good quality, classic black dress will give you many wears at many different occasions, over many years.
Black is a neutral, so you can wear any other colour with it and it provides a fantastic background for both fine jewellery and costume jewellery, especially gold and coloured jewellery. Also, wearing a black dress slims and makes women who wears it look taller.
A little black dress is versatile. You can wear it to work with heels and a blazer or in the evening with jewellery. A black dress is an essential to any woman’s wardrobe, as you can dress it down or dress it up. In fact, a classic black dress is usually a starting block for a minimalist wardrobe.
If you don’t have a little black dress or more (personally, I have five), consider adding one to your wardrobe. Once you do, you will wonder how you lived without one for so long!
Of course, you could spend all day looking at your local shopping centre or spending hours going from one fashion website to another but what if I told you, you could find everything you need on one fashion ecommerce platform? Lyst allows you to shop from over 10,000 designers and 2000 stores in one place. With the world’s greatest designers and stores in one place, you’ll find all the fashion you want on Lyst. You will be the first to hear about amazing bargains too.
We have picked five of our favourite versatile black dresses from Lyst for you:
- French Connection black snake print wrap dress. Wrap dresses are incredibly flattering and we love the snake skin print on this amazing dress. This is a fantastic dress for versatility. Wear with a fitted jacket, opaque tights and booties or heels for work chic. With a pair of black high heel, knee high boots or heels and a statement necklace for dinner or drinks or with ankle boots and a long line cardi or coat for a weekend brunch date.
2. ASOS empire seam midi dress. A classic style midi dress will be an all year round favourite. Add a feminine cardi, delicate necklace and earrings and cute heels or ballet flats to create a french chic look. Pretty sandals will complete a cute Summer look or add a fitted knit, trench coat and ankle boots for a gorgeous Winter look. A lace jacket and heels with diamond jewellery would be perfect with this dress for a wedding or high tea.
ASOS Empire Seam Midi Dress, $29 Sizes 4-18.
3. Linea Organza pleat dress. This dress is very clever and can flatter in two ways. With the panel down the front and extended shoulder, it disguises curves and is slimming but will add a waist and curves to those with a slim or athletic build. Essentially, this dress will flatter most shapes. It can’t really be worn as a casual day dress but it will work for work, after 5 and formal events.
Linea Organza pleat dress, $70. Sizes 8 – 22.
4. DKNY Black Knee-length Dress. A classic shift style dress like this will never date and can be worn a million and one ways. Add a jacket or cardigan and heels for a classic,corporate work outfit; a scarf and ballet flats and a cardigan for a cute weekend look; add glam heels and statement jewellery for more dressy occasions and sandals for an easy and stylish Summer look.
DKNY Black Knee-length Dress, $282. Sizes 4-16.
5. Marc By Marc Jacobs black dress. This dress would have to be the epitome of French chic. Add cute black ballet flats for the ultimate french chic look. Think Audrey Hepburn’s classic style for inspiration.
Marc By Marc Jacobs Black Short Dress, $309. Sizes medium and Large.